Last week, the awesome Bekah B. at The Narrow Road for Teens nominated me for the Sunshine Blog Award!! (yayyyy xD) Thanks so much, Bekah!
- Answer eleven questions.
- Nominate other bloggers.
- Give them eleven questions to answer.
Disclaimer: I’m a bit of a serious personality, not to mention an introvert, so doing something fun and social like this is a bit of a stretch for me. (There are blog posts where writers seem to take a giant cup of lighthearted, sarcastic self-deprecation and pour it all over their paragraphs. I love them — it’s so much fun reading those, but I can’t quite do it myself).
What inspired you to start blogging?
I can’t exactly remember…? (Such a great response to the very first question, I know)
I only know that it was the result of exposure to Brett Harris’s Writerscore, what is now the Young Writer Community, and Kingdom Pen. It was that point in my writer life when I realized much I needed to be growing in my skill, and I got a sense of needing to build a platform for it, and sort of aim to reach an audience.
A few of my classmates already had things going with WordPress, and I knew it was free so I just gave it a go. And here we are 🙂
If you could only do one thing for the rest of your life what would it be?
*chooses something broad enough so she can live with herself*
Love God and love people, honestly. I’m not much of a people person, but I can’t imagine a meaningful life otherwise.
What are some little-known facts about yourself?
Chances are few people reading this really know much about me, but here we go:
- I speak Chinese (enough to get by in Taiwan).
- I am the goofball of my family (and subsequently one of the main introverts in my class).
- One of my favorite foods is potatoes.
- Contrary to popular belief, I (now) like cats more than I do owls.
Do you like being indoors or outdoors?
Depends on whether or not you count the summer noonday of Taiwan… xD
All extreme temperatures aside, though, I love the outdoors more. With freedom of movement, and letting the wind fly in your face and the vastness of nature surround you… I just love it so much.
What is your favorite book?
As you might’ve expected, I can’t name a single series (let alone a single book) specifically.
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, The Ranger’s Apprentice and The Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanagan are among the top ones. I also appreciate Kiera Cass’s books and The Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir.
What would your dream job be?
Making music videos — I love how film and music can interconnect in a single art. Through imagery and telling side stories, you can add a new depth to music (not to mention just how cool it is to design film according to an existing track). I haven’t been able to make one yet, but I have occasionally storyboarded my ideas to existing songs and artists, and would like to someday.
If you had to bring one book to a deserted island what would it be?
JRR Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring — even though Tolkien can be a bit heavy at times, I love his writing voice (and Middle Earth) to bits. There’s also the minor detail that if a book is gripping enough, I’ll usually finish it in one or two days, which makes the Fellowship a good read to last me a long time.
I also just realized all the implications of “a deserted island” and realize I’d need my Bible most of all… *face-palms*
What is your best subject in school and why?
There’s no specific subject I’m particularly good at, but I tend to enjoy the more creative aspect of things. In English I enjoy the reading and sometimes writing I get to do, and this year I’ve also been blessed to take a movie-making class and Advanced Writing Workshop. So I guess you could say that when reading, writing, and general creativity is involved, I’m more in my element. 🙂
How has blogging impacted your life?
Blogging has made me more open-minded, because you come across so many different people and personalities on the Internet. It has helped me to actually finish my writing and helped me become more confident about putting myself and my ideas out there.
What is one thing God taught you through blogging?
God has shown me that I need to live out what I say. As much as I enjoy writing out my thoughts on Christian living to share with other believers over WordPress, I realize how much it constrains me to be a person of integrity and actually put into action what I want to say.
As a result, I plan to keep my posts on Christian living limited to what He’s been showing me and what I’ve already been applying to my life, rather than half-developed ideas that have been floating around in my head.
Who inspires you?
- Writers that I’ve encountered on the Internet, especially on Kingdom Pen and Story Embers.
- Amazing authors (like the ones mentioned above)
- Christian artists (TobyMac, for KING & COUNTRY, Hollyn, Jamie Grace, etc)
- My family and friends
- Nature, movies, Jesus’s love, and all the down-to-earth, beautiful moments of life.
Ben at …And Another Thing
Catwing at The Catwing has Landed
Quinn at Quinn O’Fallon
RJ Caitlin at Moon Ink
And your questions are…
- Imagine that you had to introduce yourself using only the words, “Hi, I’m [insert name] and I’m [blank]!” What would you say? (And if you want to tell us – what’s the first thing that popped into your mind?)
- What’s one of your all-time favorite books or movies?
- In terms of food, do you prefer sweet or savory?
- Without naming the your favorite color, how would you describe its overall feeling?
- What has blogging taught you?
- What would your friends and family say about your personality?
- What’s your dream job/ideal future?
- What’s your go-to/favorite/really-good-or-hilarious joke/riddle?
- What do you love most about writing?
- In terms of music, what are some of your favorite genres/artists?
- Dogs or cats? xD
I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say!!
This Saturday is a sorta-blogoversary for me, so expect a post then 😀